Monday, March 28, 2016

Substance Designer Color Texture Material Design.

So for this week I played around the substance designer graph and made this helmet design. I checked out some inspirations from Helo3 and really liked one character in there that he has the warm golden armor. Wanted to give this helmet a little bit future, sci-fi space look and it also looks like it has gone through battles and worn out for a while.

I fell in love with Substance designer and painter - it really showed me a new way of rethinking about concept art. If say paint in Photoshop contains the most of fine art form, as 2D it really can only bring you to so far. I was resisting 3D before I learned substance was because I couldn't see how 3D could be turned into a piece of beautiful art as 2D would do with those paints. And now I see how substance brings everything into an entire whole new level! Paint over 3D models was fun, but I don't think I will ever go back to it after tried out and learned Substance. It just makes a lot more sense to me to make art this way.

So what's the best way for me to create concept art now? I remember when I was studying in Photography school I had a question about whether shooting photos with film is better or digital cameras are better. My professor told me it really depends on how you want to cook it. And now I know how I'm going to cook my concept art - Substance it is! No more paint over 3D models in Photoshop!


Complete Final Look



Zoom in final look.


Details show the dirt, and the paint wear.


Graph.

I worked on the Base color mostly, used material selector for different part of the helmet, then used paint wear and dirt.




No comments:

Post a Comment